Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search

Help Register
The ABC Café  |  Public Forum: Dealing with Bone Cancer  |  Diagnosis and Treatment  |  Topic: Neurontin and Elavil « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Neurontin and Elavil  (Read 4124 times)
Kaye
Survivor
Loudmouth

I awake, I breathe, I am alive.

« on: January 26, 2009, 11:29:05 AM »

I know there are a lot of folks here that have had experience with Neurontin and Elavil.  My ortho wants to start me on them due to the fact that almost 3 years post surgery, I am still having breakthrough pain that is getting worse.  Physical exams and scans are clean.  What can I look forward to with these drugs?

Ewing's sarcoma at the tibia 12/05, Wide resection, no grafts or anything 03/06
Done with chemo 06/06!!
NED to date!
Rheumatoid arthritis suspected due to chemo, residual pain issues
Smiling- the easiest way to make a person wonder what you are thinking!
Cathy
Co-leader
Loudmouth

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 12:39:29 PM »

Kaye,

Especially with Elavil - sedation in the beginning.  But, if you take them at night you will sleep very well.  Neurontin you can expect some sedation also, but not near as much as the Elavil.  I remember being put on Elavil years ago and I felt super great for the first time in years.  I slept like I never slept before.  One other little problem, weight gain and constipation.  Check with your doctor about these problems.  I would caution you to not drive until you are sure how you are going to react to them.  I'm someone who can take double the dosage of sedating meds and not get sleepy, so I would be prepared.  Good luck with them.

Always,
Cathy

Cathy, Osteosarcoma survivor - tumor at the pelvis
2/2004 - Limb Salvage Surgery/Hemipelvectomy, Chemo
NED
Kaye
Survivor
Loudmouth

I awake, I breathe, I am alive.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 03:39:16 PM »

Well, I started them last night.  The dosage he has me on for the Neurontin is 300mg, to me it sounds like it would knock out a horse.  I'm like you tho, it takes alot for me to notice a sedating effect.  I really haven't noticed anything yet, I guess it's a matter of time for it to kick in?

Ewing's sarcoma at the tibia 12/05, Wide resection, no grafts or anything 03/06
Done with chemo 06/06!!
NED to date!
Rheumatoid arthritis suspected due to chemo, residual pain issues
Smiling- the easiest way to make a person wonder what you are thinking!
Tara
Co-leader
Loudmouth

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 07:48:42 PM »

I don't know how long it takes most... My neuro prescribed 300 mg of Neurontin 3xs a day about a year ago.  He told me to take the first dose when I didn't have to drive or anything so I would know how it would effect me.  Within an hour, I was laid out on the couch - couldn't open my eyes, but didn't go to sleep either.  That part wore off about an hour later, but I always felt drugged on it.  I now take 100 mg of Lyrica every night.  It works like a charm on the pain and don't have any ill effects from it.  I wish the cost was better... I don't take Elavil, so i can't help you there.  I take zoloft - it doesn't seem to have any effect (except a side effect of saneness or calmness.... Roll Eyes )  My SIL took it and had to get off of it b/c it made her sleep so much.  I guess different meds effect us all different ways.  The most important thing is that it helps you and you are pain free!

Ewing's Sarcoma survivor, localized to L. Clavicle w/ fibrous dysplasia
3/07 Clavicle excision - 100% kill rate achieved!
12 rounds of chemo 12/06 - 9/07

"They say when God closes a door, He always opens a window...Close your eyes and feel the breeze."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The ABC Café  |  Public Forum: Dealing with Bone Cancer  |  Diagnosis and Treatment  |  Topic: Neurontin and Elavil « previous next »
Jump to:  

© 2005-2008 Mary Sorens. All rights reserved. Contact: info AT abc-survivors.net