Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search

Help Register
The ABC Café  |  Public Forum: Dealing with Bone Cancer  |  Diagnosis and Treatment  |  Topic: Bone Cancer Treatment Guidelines « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bone Cancer Treatment Guidelines  (Read 6836 times)
Mary
Be the peace you want to see in the world.
Administrator
Loudmouth

« on: November 01, 2005, 11:39:29 AM »

These guidelines are used at the best cancer centers around the country. They are useful to educate patients in every stage of care, from diagnosis to follow-up.

http://abc-survivors.net/images/bone.pdf

Mary, ABC Founder, Parosteal Osteosarcoma Survivor - Humerus Resection 12/03, no chemo
*I am not a doctor. Nothing in this message is medical advice. Please consult your physician.*
Julia
Survivor
Chatty Member

Just look how she's grown!

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 12:26:55 PM »

Pretty handy info to have and perfect timing!! Thanks!

Julie
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy
sh#&...what a ride!"
Larisa
Caregiver
Loudmouth

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 01:26:13 PM »

Interesting document. I wonder how to better interpret the following statement about Ewing's on p. 19:
 "Patients responding to primary treatment should always be treated
further with adjuvant chemotherapy following local control treatment
(surgery or radiation therapy), regardless of surgical margins. The
panel strongly recommends that chemotherapy should be given for a
total of 36 weeks including that received prior to local therapy (category
1)."

Does it mean that 36/3=12 chemotherapy treatments is enough?

A wife to Ewing's sarcoma Survivor
2nd right rib, diagnosed in Feb 2007
13 rounds of chemo and a surgery on 05/14/07
Mary
Be the peace you want to see in the world.
Administrator
Loudmouth

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 01:48:23 PM »

Larisa, this is a great question, and I definitely don't know the answer. This is why I hope that patients will print out the guidelines if they have questions and ask their physicians. The guidelines can be especially useful for patients who are not being treated at a top sarcoma center or by a doctor who sees a high volume of bone sarcoma patients. If nothing else, a patient can always ask, "It looks like there is a difference between what you're doing and what the NCCN Guidelines recommend. Can you explain your reasoning so that I understand my treatment better?" Hopefully there is sound reasoning as to why a doctor is using a different approach.

Of course, your physician may be surprised that you have these and that you know what a lot of it means, but hey, it's good to be educated!!!

Mary, ABC Founder, Parosteal Osteosarcoma Survivor - Humerus Resection 12/03, no chemo
*I am not a doctor. Nothing in this message is medical advice. Please consult your physician.*
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
The ABC Café  |  Public Forum: Dealing with Bone Cancer  |  Diagnosis and Treatment  |  Topic: Bone Cancer Treatment Guidelines « previous next »
Jump to:  

© 2005-2008 Mary Sorens. All rights reserved. Contact: info AT abc-survivors.net